Summer is upon us, and this year, it feels more exciting than ever. While you’re busy daydreaming about weekends at the pool and seaside travel plans, you might want to add one more thing to your warm-weather itinerary: upgrading your summer skincare routine.
As we spend more time under the sun, in the water, and out in the heat, you might begin to notice that your winter products are feeling a little too heavy and your pores clog a little more easily. That’s because, when it comes to summer skincare, there are a few things you should know in order to keep your skin healthy and glowing in those hotter months.
Read on to find out what products you should be using, what OVME treatments can help, and how to give your skin every advantage this summer—and beyond.
1. Slather on the SPF.
You’ve heard it before, but it bears repeating: SPF is your skin’s best friend. Sun protection is actually a year-round staple, but it’s important to be hyper-vigilant during the months when you’re spending more time outside.
When you’re spending hours on the beach or by the pool, you’ll want to reapply frequently—at least every 2-3 hours. And the SPF in your makeup? It won’t cut it alone. Look for broad-spectrum, 30+ SPF to keep your skin protected from the sun’s harmful rays.
Try Total Defense and Repair SPF 34 to defend and repair skin all summer long.
2. Vitamin sea and vitamin C go hand-in-hand.
If a beach trip is on your itinerary, you’ll definitely want the restorative powers of vitamin C on your side. Why? Vitamin C in the form of L ascorbic acid protects against environmental damage and neutralizes free radicals while also brightening your complexion, reducing hyperpigmentation, and supporting collagen synthesis.
By adding a topical vitamin C serum to your summer skincare routine, you reap the anti-aging benefits long after the season is over. Use after you cleanse your face in the morning and before you apply moisturizer to allow your skin to soak up those antioxidants.
We recommend OVME Boost Serum for a concentrated dose of antioxidants plus vitamin C.
3. Lighten the load with a dual-purpose moisturizer.
You wouldn’t wear a sweater in the summer heat, so why layer on multiple skincare products if you don’t have to? A dual-purpose moisturizer means there’s one less layer (and one less step) you have to reckon with in your skincare routine.
The HA5® Rejuvenating Hydrator is a great example of a dual-purpose moisturizer. This product hydrates while also smoothing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and improving the skin’s texture. Another example of a dual-purpose moisturizer would be one with added SPF.
4. If you don’t already, now’s the time to start exfoliating.
During the hot summer months, buildup from oil and sweat can accumulate faster, clogging pores and dulling your glow. By adding exfoliation to your summer skincare routine, you can remove that buildup and cleanse the pores. Already have an exfoliating step in your routine? Try slowly increasing the number of times you do it by another day or two per week—just be careful not to overdo it.
We like to use OVME Glow Exfoliating Pads to exfoliate one to three times per week. This formula contains salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid to improve skin tone, texture, and clarity, and reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines.
5. Don’t throw shade—sit in it instead.
If you know you’ll be in the sun for more than a few hours at a time, having some shade you can escape to is a safe bet. Whether that means bringing an umbrella to the beach, posting up under a cabana, or wearing a hat while you’re out and about, any extra sun protection can only benefit your skin in the long run.
6. Hydrate with plenty of H2O.
Staying hydrated is important for many reasons as water plays a vital role in transporting nutrients and oxygen to your cells, normalizing blood pressure, regulating body temperature, and so much more. It also helps with—you guessed it—the health of your skin.
Drinking enough water increases blood flow to the skin, reduces inflammation, and may even help prevent breakouts. Getting enough H2O is even more important in the hot summer months, so grab your water jug and drink up! Your skin will thank you.
7. Supplement summer skincare with luxe in-studio treatments.
If you’re looking to take your summer skincare to the next level, it might be time to book an appointment at one of our state-of-the-art studios. We offer plenty of treatments to get your skin warm-weather-ready. Here are a few of our favorites:
- The OVME HydraFacial® is safe year-round and will hydrate and exfoliate the skin to give you that coveted summer glow. This personalized treatment will help diminish fine lines and wrinkles, enhance elasticity and firmness, improve skin tone and texture, and minimize enlarged or clogged pores.
- RF Microneedling is also great for the summertime because there is no conflict with sun exposure. Our particular treatment combines microneedling with radiofrequency (RF) to stimulate skin tightening,
- improve skin texture, and minimize fine lines.
- Botox® treatments aren’t just for your face—they can help with excessive sweating, too. In fact, many celebrities opt for injections in the underarm area before red carpet events! If you’re self-conscious about sweating in the summer heat, consider booking a consultation today.
- Tired of shaving during shorts weather? Laser hair removal at OVME is fast and virtually painless. Just make sure you book this one with enough time to spare since you’ll want to avoid sun exposure before and after any type of laser treatment.
Ready to get a head-start on your summer skincare treatments?
When it comes to summer skincare, taking the season-appropriate steps will ensure your skin stays healthy, fresh, and vibrant long after the warm weather fades. By swapping out heavier products, staying hydrated, and protecting your skin from the sun, finding (and keeping) your glow will be as easy as packing for that long-awaited summer getaway.