Ever since Kylie Jenner debuted her perfectly injected pout back in 2015, it’s safe to say we’ve all been a little obsessed with lip fillers. From celebrities and models to influencers and beyond, it seems like just about everyone is on the hunt for plump, luscious (but still natural-looking) lips.
So many people, in fact, that just over 2.6 million filler procedures were performed in 2016—a number that’s continued to grow in subsequent years. The market for lip augmentations is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate of 9.5% over the next six years, bringing the revenue forecast to a whopping $4.4 billion by 2027.
If you’re one of those people who is considering a plumper pout, you probably have a lot of questions about this increasingly popular procedure: How long does lip filler last? Do lip fillers hurt? Are lip fillers safe?
We’re tackling all of these topics and more to clear up any misconceptions, address any concerns, and help you make an informed decision about whether or not lip fillers are the right choice for you.
All About Lip Fillers
When it comes to enhancing the lips, people generally have two options: surgical and nonsurgical procedures. Surgical procedures are obviously more invasive and involve inserting implants into the lips. They can be synthetic (silicone or expanded polytetrafluoroethylene) or they can be done using tissue or fat grafting to surgically fill the lips. There’s no need to wonder, “How long does lip filler last?” because these tend to be permanent.
Nonsurgical procedures, on the other hand, tend to be safer, less invasive, and more convenient—with immediate results to boot. There are many options to choose from, all of which vary slightly in their formulations as well as how long they last. At OVME, we use the following FDA-approved injectables to create the perfect pout for our clients:
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC: This hyaluronic injectable gel can be used in the lips as well as for the correction of perioral lines.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC: Another hyaluronic injectable gel, this formulation can also be used for both lips and perioral lines.
- Restylane® Kysse™: One of the newer injectables to hit the market, Kysse was FDA-approved in 2020 as a hyaluronic acid filler that’s specifically “designed and indicated to add fullness to the lips and help smooth wrinkles above the mouth.”
- Restylane® Silk: This injectable promises “silkier, smoother, natural-looking lips” and is touted as the first FDA-approved product specifically designed for lip augmentation.
Now that you know a bit more about lip fillers, let’s get to the important stuff:
How long does lip filler last?
An important reminder: lip fillers are not permanent. This can actually be a good thing—a esthetic trends change over time, our appearance changes as we age, and you may not want your treatments to last forever (especially if you’re not happy with the way they turn out—something we strive to avoid here at OVME).
In general, dermal fillers can last anywhere from 4-24 months. Restalyne® typically lasts around 10 months, while JUVÉDERM® lasts closer to 12.
Are lip fillers safe?
Yes! Lip fillers are generally considered safe when using an FDA-approved injectable that is administered by an experienced professional. There is minimal risk associated with lip fillers, however, it’s always important to do your research and visit a trustworthy establishment, like OVME.
With any procedure, there is always an inherent risk. In the unlikely event that you experience excessive pain, discoloration or blanching of the skin, excessive swelling, or visible red lumps, immediately contact your provider as these could be signs of a serious reaction.
Does getting lip filler hurt?
You may experience some discomfort during and after receiving lip injections. However, many formulations contain lidocaine to help ease any pain you may experience. Following the procedure, you may have some swelling, bruising, or tenderness at the injection site. These typically lessen or disappear within a day or two. Some bruising may last up to 10-14 days.
What should I do after I get lip filler?
Like any procedure, there are certain things you should do (and avoid) to expedite the healing process. Here are some post-treatment tips that we recommend to all of our clients:
- Avoid strenuous exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure. Exercise can cause your blood vessels to dilate and increase your risk of bruising.
- You may apply makeup and return to your typical skincare routine following the procedure. We recommend Revision Lip Replenisher to keep lips soft and hydrated.
- To limit bruising and swelling, gently apply ice to the area every 10-15 minutes for 1-2 hours post-treatment.
- Limit sun exposure until any redness or swelling has dissipated.
- A follow-up appointment will generally be scheduled two weeks post-treatment to ensure that you are healing properly.
Will my results look natural?
At OVME, our experts consult with you to discuss end results and determine the best course of action. If you want subtle, natural-looking results, we’ll deliver! If you want to go slighter bigger this time around, we’ll get you there, too.
Check out these before-and-after results to see what our injectors can do for yo
Can I get lip fillers the day before my big event?
In most cases, this is not advisable. Why? Dermal filler recovery times may vary. While not everyone will bruise, there may be swelling and bruising at the injection site that can last up to two weeks. We do not recommend scheduling filler appointments around major events due to the possibility of bruising.
Take the Next Step Towards Full, Luscious Lips
What’s more, for a limited time, we’re offering a complimentary area of Dysport® when you book A restylane® Kysse lip filler appointment!
Service must be completed by August 14th, 2021.