Laser Resurfacing is the first hybrid fractional laser using 1470nm non-ablative and 2940nm ablative laser wavelengths. Healing times and outcomes may vary and are based on the depth and density of the treatment taking into account your skin concerns, the health of your skin and your individual healing ability.
How to prepare for your treatment:
- 4 WEEKS BEFORE:
-Avoid direct sun exposure and tanning, including from tanning salons
-If you haven’t already, start using medical-grade skincare products like retinol* and growth factors. This can help prepare your skin for healing and help you get the best results. *If retinol causes irritation, discontinue using it a few days before.
- 7-14 DAYS BEFORE:
-Avoid self-tanner, sunburn, waxing, or other irritation in the treatment area.
- 3-4 DAYS BEFORE:
-Avoid any irritating topical skincare products.
- 24 HOURS BEFORE:
-Avoid using benzoyl peroxide.
-If you have a cold sore breakout, or are healing from one, give the studio a call – we’ll need to delay treatment, write a prescription or both.
What to expect on the day of your treatment:
- You’ll get photos taken of your skin and numbing cream will be applied. Bring an iPad or a good book so you can relax for 30-60 minutes prior to your service.
- Heads up: we can’t apply numbing cream if you’re pregnant, nursing, or if you’re allergic or have sensitivity to topical anesthetic. If this is you, give your Studio a call right away for direction.
- You’ll have time with your provider to ask questions prior to treatment. We’ll also run through all the post-treatment instructions for how to care for your skin after treatment. OVME has all the best and highly recommended home-use products (gentle cleanser, specialized moisturizer, and SPF) in stock, so you can pick them up while you’re there.
- With a topical anesthetic and the OVME Laser Resurfacing’s integrated cooling technology, most patients experience very little discomfort.
- Most patients describe the treatment as a feeling of heat with occasional prickling sensations but are generally comfortable.
- After the treatment, most patients will continue to feel warm for an additional 30 to 60 minutes. Prescription medications are available to minimize discomfort. Please speak to your provider during your initial consultation if this is of interest to you.
Post treatment care:
You may feel an intense hot, warm, or burning sensation immediately after your treatment. This is normal and usually resolves within 2-4 hours post-treatment. Your skin may continue to feel warm for 12-24 hours after the treatment.
Pinpoint bleeding may occur and could last for a few hours and up to 12 hours immediately following the treatment.
Swelling is common and expected immediately after the treatment and may last 2-4 days. It is normal for it to be worse in the mornings.
Redness generally increases in intensity for the first few days after treatment, with Day 3 usually being the most intense. Pinkness or redness can persist for up to 7 days depending on the intensity treatment.
MENDs (microscopic epidermal necrotic debris) will appear on Day 2 or Day 3 post-treatment as tiny dark spots and bronzed appearance. They feel like sandpaper on the skin. Do not pick or peel them.
Post-treatment blemishes are not unusual during the first couple of weeks after your treatment. If it’s bothersome, give the studio a call.
What to do immediately after:
- Dab any pinpoint bleeding with damp gauze
- Use a cold compress for the first 24 hours post-treatment to help with swelling, following a schedule of 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off
- Sleep in an upright, elevated position the first 2-3 nights post-treatment to also help with swelling
What to do daily:
- Wash your face twice daily with a gentle cleanser, using gentle patting motions and tepid water. Do not use a washcloth or facial cleansing device.
- Liberally and gently apply a bland moisturizer (such as Aquaphor, Cetaphil, or CeraVe) after cleansing and throughout the day as needed to prevent dryness.
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily with a minimum of SPF 30 (continue doing this liberally for up to 3 months post-treatment)
- Makeup can typically be worn starting 48 hours post-treatment. Use clean brushes and clean hands to apply.
What to avoid until fully healed:
- Vigorously rubbing the skin or picking at the flaking skin. This can cause scarring!
- All sun exposure, including from tanning salons
- Saunas, steam rooms, hot yoga, strenuous exercise, and sweating
- Do not apply ointments, oils, or any skincare product that hasn’t been recommended to use. These can cause reactions after laser, even if you’ve been able to use them before.
IN 3 MONTHS
- ® Within 90 days, return for your next laser resurfacing treatment. If your medical aesthetician recommends more than one treatment, it’s ideal to retreat within 30-90 days whenever possible. We usually recommend at least 2 treatments, depending on your skin condition and goals.
IN 6 MONTHS
- ® Come in for your “after” photos to see your final results. Your provider will take your photos and walk you through your OVME Skin Analysis so you can see how much your skin has improved!
IN 1 YEAR
- Book your next appointment! Once you’ve achieved the changes you were seeking, our medical aestheticians suggest getting Laser Resurfacing annually to maintain your results depending on your personalized treatment plan and skin goals.