At OVME dermal fillers are primarily made out of hyaluronic acid gel. There are many areas of the face that dermal fillers can treat including: lips, cheeks, smile lines, vertical lip lines, marionette lines, and chin wrinkles. Fillers are a great non-surgical cosmetic procedure that deliver immediate and natural results lasting anywhere from 4-24 months.
How to prepare for your treatment:
- Minimize alcohol consumption for a minimum of 24 hours prior to injectable treatment. Alcohol can thin the blood making it easier for bruising to occur. It is best to avoid alcohol for a minimum of 3 days prior to injectable treatment.
- Avoid certain supplements and medications before the procedure. It is best to avoid any blood thinning agents for at least 1 week prior to injectable treatment to minimize the occurrence of bruising.
- Stop all NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications) such as aspirin, Advil, Aleve, Nuprin, Bufferin, Ibuprofen, etc. Tylenol is ok to use.
- Stop all herbal supplements such as fish oil, ginkgo, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, garlic pills, etc. (a multi-vitamin is ok to continue).
- Always discuss any history of allergies and current medications you are taking with your provider.
- Start taking oral arnica montana prior to the procedure. Arnica montana is a natural supplement which helps to reduce swelling and bruising. Starting the supplement the day prior to the procedure and continuing after the procedure is recommended.
- Avoid salty foods a few days before and after the treatment as excess sodium causes the body to retain water, which in turn can worsen swelling.
- Avoid any depilatory treatments (hair removal, such as tweezing, waxing, etc.) for a minimum of 2 days prior to the treatment. Tell your provider if you are planning any chemical peel treatments or laser treatments as this may cause possible irritation at the treatment site.
- If you have a history of cold sores, it is important to let your provider know. There is a risk that the treatment could lead to an outbreak, so your provider may want to treat you appropriately.
- Tell your provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding as the safety profile has not been studied on this group and injectable treatment should not be performed.
What to expect day of your treatment:
- The injection itself takes a few moments per treated area.
- Your provider will apply a numbing agent to the injected area (timing will vary by area)
- Your provider will inject, massage, and evaluate the area being treated. If needed, an additional filler may be used to make sure you are happy with the results and that it meets your aspirations.
- Depending on your personalized treatment, the process may range from 15 to 60 minutes.
Post Treatment Care:
- The most common complications following dermal fillers include: swelling, bruising, or tenderness at the injection site, these typically lessen or disappear within a day or two. Some bruising may last up to 10-14 days.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure. Exercise can cause your blood vessels to dilate and can increase your risk of bruising.
- You may apply make-up and return to your normal skin care regimen immediately after the procedure. We recommend using SkinMedica® TNS Essential Serum to enhance the results of your treatment by rebuilding collagen, improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, skin tone and texture. The serum also includes antioxidants to help prevent free radical damage.
- Some temporary lumpiness may occur before the balance of normal pressure can result from absorption.
- To limit bruising and swelling, gently apply ice to the area every 10-15 minutes for 1-2 hours post treatment.
- Limit exposure to excessive sun or extremes of temperatures until the initial swelling or redness has resolved. We suggest using a mineral based sunscreen with an spf of 30+.
- Follow-up is generally scheduled 2 weeks post treatment.
- In the unlikely chance that you experience excessive pain, a discoloration or blanching of the skin, excessive swelling, visible red lumps, or white heads, please immediately contact your provider directly through the OVME Mobile application, or OVME studio.