Kybella™ is used to treat a commonly under treated aesthetic condition known as submental fat, or in common terms the “double chin” area. Submental fullness can impact a broad range of adults, but is not limited to people who are overweight. It can affect men and women of average weight and is typically caused by genetics, aging, and weight gain, which is often resistant to diet and exercise. The active ingredient in Kybella™ is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When it is injected into the fat beneath your chin, the solution causes the destruction of fat cells, causing the cells to be destroyed and unable to store or accumulate fat. Kybella™ is the first and only non-surgical option on the market to treat the double-chin area.
How to prepare for your treatment:
- Please arrive at the office without make-up and a clean face. Pre-procedure photos will be taken.
- Avoid taking Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E, Ginger, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, and Garlic 10- 14 days prior to the procedure. These drugs and herbs may cause excessive bleeding or bruising.
- To further decrease the risk of bruising you may start Arnica or Arnica/Bromelain supplements one day prior to your procedure and continue for a few days following the procedure. Arnica gel may be of benefit for use post procedure to help reduce bruising. These may be purchased in our office or can be found at any healthy food store.
What to expect day of your treatment:
- The sub-mental area will be cleansed and numbed prior to the procedure to minimize discomfort.
- Kybella is then injected directly into the fatty tissue.
- The injection sensation is commonly described as a “pinch and sting”.
- Significant swelling and discomfort may last for up to 72-hours post procedure.
- After your treatment, you should expect swelling and redness. You may also experience bruising, pain, numbness, and induration. This will normally last less than 5 days, and for some patients may last up to 14 days. If the symptoms continue beyond 10 days or if other reactions occur, please contact your provider directly through the OVME Mobile application, or OVME directly through the OVME Mobile application.
- You may elect to ice the area post treatment but must do so very carefully. Use an ice pack with the fabric side against the skin, or wrap a soft plastic ice pack in a wet thin towel. Apply the ice pack approximately 15 seconds on, and 15 seconds off. Icing too vigorously can cause frostbite and scarring. You may apply a cold compress to the area for 20 minutes per hour, and you may do this hourly for up to 3 days.
- Do not participate in strenuous activity for 3 days following treatment
- Sleep with your head elevated on at least 2 and preferably 3 pillows.
- Do not scratch, pick or traumatize the area in any way. Do not massage or manipulate the injection site.
- You may apply your normal skin care regimen and sunscreen normally.
- In the unlikely chance that you experience any difficulty swallowing, crusting or scabbing, asymmetry of your smile or any other unusual symptoms call your provider directly at the OVME studio.